Honor our veterans and those who are serving in the military
In 1999, U.S. Congress designated May as National Military Appreciation Month which honors those on active duty in all branches of the services, the National Guard and Reserves, plus retirees, veterans, and their families.
The following are national military observances during May:
- Loyalty Day: Wednesday, May 1, 2019
- Silver Star Service Banner Day: Wednesday, May 1, 2019
- Victory in Europe: Wednesday, May 8, 2019
- National Military Spouse Appreciation Day (on the Friday before Mother’s Day in May): Friday, May 10th, 2019
- Armed Forces Day (third Saturday of May): Saturday, May 18, 2019.
- Memorial Day (last Monday of May): May 27, 2019
The National Moment of Remembrance encourages all Americans to pause, wherever they are, at 3:00 pm local time on Memorial Day for a minute of silence.
There are many ways to show gratitude for their service. A starting point is to read the Congressional resolution (please see the attached link) and to read about the various national observances to understand the history behind them. Whenever you meet a veteran or someone currently serving, thank them!